Sunday, February 21, 2010

An Unsavory Subject

I tried to think of something else to blog about this week but I couldn't find an other subject , so i guess I will just have to write about this unsavory one. When I married and bought a house, 15 years ago, the first thing we did was get a cat. The next year we got a golden retriever, years later a stray kitten showed up and joined us. This past Tuesday the oldest cat ,Tiger pasted away, he was over 15 years old . His health had been getting worse and worse ,my husband and I discussed having him put to sleep but neither of us could make that tough decision. Tiger didn't seem to be in any pain but it became more and more obvious that he was having major problems.I didn't realize till later in the week, after he died , how much the whole ordeal had been affecting me.The subject of death came up again this weekend with our assignment on challenged books. In fact the book we selected was banned because it was a children's book that dealt in part with the subject of death. It got me to thinking that for a culture that thinks it's so enlightened we still don't deal very well with this subject. We drape it in rituals and taboo and hide it from our children and our self's. I think this makes it twice as hard to deal with when the time comes and the time always comes. Every thing that's born owes a death, maybe it's not an end but a beginning, anyway I'd like to think so. I know one thing this spring when it's time to work in the garden again I will miss my gardening companion , Tiger.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. I had to make a tough decision a few years ago to put my dog to sleep. Since she was my unconditional companion for so many years I made myself be ther when it we had no choice but to put her to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but I knew I would regret it if I wasn't there with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cam,

    I wanted to say thank you for responding to my blog, it is always nice to hear how other view the world.

    In reference to your post, I am very sorry for your loss animals become part of the family and they are considered more like a child almost. I have to agree with you when you talk about death being something society doesn't want to acknowledge or deal with it until the time comes when they loose someone special to them. (Hence my blog about the masks) Then it becomes reality but even then some people choose to look the other way. I am personally not scared to die persay but I am scared of not knowing how I will die or when...if that makes sense. I do believe there is life after death but I fear I will not make it to that "beginning" as you put it... due to my own sins. I can only pray that when tht time comes for me to go GOD with have mercy on me as well as others. Have a great day Cam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor putty cat...we all have are bad days cammie and that sure seemed pretty bad. I think coping with the loss of animals is so much easier then the loss of a person. I have been lucky so far I my young life to not deal with this subject alot. I know my grandparents are getting older and the time will come. Family and friends serve a great companion in a time of mourning. I hope you were able to have that support if not I am always here (:

    ReplyDelete